Hela Baer, LMSW, E-RYTSupervisee in Social Work
I am a Licensed Master Social Worker, Trauma Informed Yoga Practitioner, and Equine Assisted Psychotherapist. I work with teens and adults experiencing challenges related to trauma, grief/loss, LGBTQIA2+ identities, multicultural/transnational families, intergenerational trauma, and the stressors of daily life. I am also passionate about supporting folks who are exploring their emotional-cogntive-relational patterns, parenting queer and gender expansive youth, preparing for and grieving the loss of a loved one, and unpacking the harm of capitalism, white supremacy, fatphobia, and cisheterosexism.
As an intersectional therapist, I work with folks within the ecosystems of their lives – their unique web of identities, life experiences, relationships, and sociocultural systems. Together we will map out opportunities for growth and change, while also practicing compassion for and acceptance of the beautiful being that you already are. I integrate interventions based in trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TF-CBT), humanistic and existential therapy, relational-cultural therapy, mindfulness and yoga, and nature-based therapies (including ecopsychology, forest bathing, and animal assisted therapies).
I have found that nurturing relationships, increased mind-body awareness, and connection with nature helps folks find joy, relief, and meaning in their lives. My approach is based in kindness, radical compassion, and the power of connection. I am committed to deepening my understanding of and continuing to fight against structural racism, heterosexism, and other traumatizing systems of oppression. It is a pleasure and honor to walk this path of healing with individuals, groups, and families.
I am a Supervisee in Social Work in the Commonwealth of Virginia and work under the supervision of Heather Colby, LCSW. I received both my Bachelor’s of Art in Conflict Resolution and Master’s of Social Work from George Mason University.
Certifications and Training
- Yoga Alliance Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT 200)
- PATH Intl. Certified Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning (ESMHL)
- Certified Grief Informed Professional (CGP)
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Yoga for Trauma and PTSD
- Trauma-Focused Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (TF-EAP)
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD (EAP-PTSD)
- Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy and Nature-Based Therapy
- Grief and Trauma Informed Therapy
- LGBTQIA2+ Affirming Therapy and Parent Coaching
- Sex Positive and Body Inclusive Therapy
- Individual, Group, and Family Therapy
- Professional Presentations and Workshops on Trauma-Informed Care, Yoga, and Equine-Assisted and Nature-Based Therapies