Hela Baer, MSW, RYT, ESMHLSupervisee in Social Work
I am a social worker, yoga practitioner, and equine assisted psychotherapist. I work with children, adolescents, and adults who are experiencing issues related to trauma, loss, stress, anxiety, and chronic illness. I also have specialized experience working with issues related to military life, immigration, incarceration, multicultural/interfaith families, and LGBTQIA+ identities. As a therapist, I am passionate about integrative, inclusive, and justice promoting approaches to individual and collective healing.
My practice is guided by kindness, compassion, and connection, and I consider it an honor to support individuals through their therapeutic journey. In our sessions we may integrate mindfulness, movement, creativity, and nature-based interventions to explore patterns and develop new skills. We may also work together to gain insight on the ways in which your relationships, experiences, and culture impact your daily life, all while recognizing your resilience and opportunities for growth. You are the expert on your unique life experience and together we will create a therapeutic path that fits your needs.
I am a Supervisee in Social Work in the Commonwealth of Virginia. I received both my Bachelor’s of Art in Conflict Resolution and Master’s of Social Work from George Mason University. I am working toward independent clinical licensure under the supervision of Heather Colby, LCSW. I am committed to deepening my understanding of and continuing to fight against structural racism, heterosexism, and other traumatizing systems of oppression.
Certifications and Training
- Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT-200)
- PATH International Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning (ESMHL)
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Yoga for Trauma and PTSD
- Trauma-Focused Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (TF-EAP)
- Creative Arts and Play Therapies
- Professional Presentations and Workshops on Trauma-Informed Care, Yoga, and Equine-Assisted and Nature-Based Therapies
- Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy and Mindfulness-Based Therapy
- Grief and Trauma Psychotherapy
- Individual, Group, and Family Therapy
- LGBTQIA+ Affirming and Sex Positive Therapy